Key words: supported decision making, circles of support, good life, try new things
In August 2014 Jacob Hughes presented at the NSW CID conference in Newcastle. Jacob used powerpoint and pro-lo-quo-2-go preprogrammed onto his iPad to delver his speech.
Here is what he had to say...
1. My name is Jacob, I am 22 years old.
2. I communicate by pointing to symbols and words.
3. I finished school four years ago. Here I am at my high school graduation
4. I like cricket a lot! I like watching cricket and I like playing cricket
5. I like to watch Harry Potter Movies and the Simpsons
6. I like going to the football. Go Knights!
7. I am good at Maths and counting money
8. I like Helping
9. I like swimming but only when it is warm
10. I love hanging out with my friends and family; having a beer or coffee
11. I have two jobs. I am an assistant to the social club at my local pub. I help keep the accounts and do mail deliveries. I am also assistant treasurer at the P&C of my old primary school
I like my job, I get to meet people. I really like my boss, Kath. She is lots of fun and I have gotten to know the regulars as well.
12. After I finished school I went to Tafe for a while to improve my reading and writing.
13. I also tried taking some classes at Uni, but I preferred hanging out at the uni bar rather than going to classes.
14. So how do I make decisions about what I want to do? I like to plan my day but I need help to make big plans for the future
15. I have a circle of support. These are my friends and family. People who know me very well and care about me. We get together to think about what I might like to do. I really like my circle meetings
16. Sometimes my mum makes decisions for me. She forgets i need to be in control of my life.
17. Sometimes I need to try new things out to find out if I like it
18. I was asked to speak at this conference. I have not spoken at a conference before, i didn't know if I would like it.
19. Mum suggested i join Toastmasters to see what public speaking is like. I really like Toastmasters
20. I have had some practice with public speaking and I like it.
21. This is an example of how I make decisions, try things out and see how it goes
Get ahead with the NDIS Workshop
St Marys, Sydney
Find out how you can self direct your support and have good life
For more info clicl here